Many people go dumpster diving to get useful items for free. Whether it be hauls of organic produce, electronics, household items, or any myriad of things- it is definitely a rush to get something useful at no cost. But hold on! Before you head out, you will definitely want to read the following tips.
- Dress in old, protective clothing: Jeans, layered shirts, steel toe boots (if you have them), gloves, maybe even a hat and glasses are all really good choices of what to what wear when going dumpster diving.
- Bring appropriate tools: A stool or step ladder comes in very handy for getting up high enough to see into tall dumpsters. A grabber will help you move things around, and move items closer to you without having to jump in (unless you want to).
- Bring a Buddy: Having a friend come along will ensure your safety, since there is safety in numbers. Be on the look out for the trash truck coming to pick up the dumpster; if you do see it get away from the dumpster quickly. Your friend can watch while you look through the items, or vise versa.
- Check out Trashwiki.org: This helpful website will tell you information about dumpster diving in your area, such as the 'best' stores' to go to, which stores have compactors, etc.
- Find a group on Meetup.com: If you find an active group of dumpster divers where you live, they may be willing to share with you the ins and outs of this activity in your area. That will save you the time and experience you would have expended finding things out for yourself that you can only know from actually doing it.
Don't miss a thing! Sign up for our NEWSLETTER. :)
Billy and Angel