Most people like bananas. They already have so many virtues... they are a convenient snack, are affordable for just about every budget, etc.... but did you know that they have some exciting, unexpected health benefits as well?
- Though bananas are a low fat food, they do contain a type of fat called sterols, which blocks absorption of cholesterol!
- Bananas increase good gut flora. (Find out the many benefits of having lots of beneficial bacteria here.) A study showed that women who eat 2 bananas a day have significantly more beneficial gut flora than those who don't! The reason for that is that bananas contain fructooligosaccharides (FOS), which are unique carbs that aren't digested, but instead go to the lower intestine, where it feeds beneficial bacteria!
- Eat your bananas truly ripe, when spotted! Japanese researchers have proven that spotted bananas contain TNF (tumor necrosis factor). TNF is a cytokine that assists cell to cell communication and directs cell movements toward infections. It also interferes with growth and spread of tumor cells and triggers apoptosis (cell death). TNF in ripe bananas has been shown to be as effective as the anti-cancer agent lentinan.
- Bananas contain pectin(see how that contributes to detox).
- Bananas are full of nutrition. There are about 100 calories per bananas. Plus they have around 400mg of potassium per banana (which lowers blood pressure), they contain b6, biotin, copper, vitamin C, manganese, and are a good source of fiber!
- Bananas are good fuel. They have been shown to be good for athletic performance, and some researchers say the potassium content may help prevent muscle cramps.
Looking for a delicious way to get more bananas in your day? I suggest banana ice cream!
Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below!
Want our help to live a more natural lifestyle? We offer coaching for that!
Don't miss a thing! Sign up for our NEWSLETTER. :)
Billy and Angel